History

Blairgowrie Parish Church

Our Church was completed and first used for regular services on 19th June  1902. The cost was just short of £8,000. The money was all raised locally so no loan was needed. As it came into being as a result of a conjunction of the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church, the new Church was named St Andrew’s United Free Church.

In 1929 there was a further coming together of Churches when the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland amalgamated under the banner of the Church of Scotland. Our Church was then called St Andrew’s Church of Scotland

Over the years much continuing maintenance was required including a change of fuel from coal to gas and a major renovation of the organ in 1989.

In 2002 another Church in Blairgowrie, St Mary’s South, joined with St Andrew’s Church of Scotland and the name changed to our current one - Blairgowrie Parish Church.

The congregation has been fortunate in requiring the services of relatively few ministers. The two longest serving ministers together contributed over 50 years to the Church and the Parish – they were the Rev R B Hastie and Rev G Stuart Young.

Our current Minister is the Rev Harry Mowbray, a long serving member of the Church of Scotland but a relatively recent call to the Ministry, having spent most of his professional working life as an accountant. Our associate minister is the Rev Bill Ewart who undertakes much of the pastoral work of the ministry.

 

    Service of Union of St Mary's South with St Andrews Churches      in 2002  to form Blairgowrie Parish Church

    Rev John Russell Rev Linda Broadly Alisdair Drummond                Rev David Hamilton, Margaret Davidson  Rev Fraser Penny                          Rev Sandy Gunn

    

 

 

 

      Session Clerks Margaret Davidson and Alisdair                  Drummond light candles during service of Union of           the Churches as a symbolic act of unity

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  Ladies from the joint Guilds of St Mary's South and St Andrew's Churches.